Thursday, October 1, 2009

OcTOBER 1, 2009 .. A New Month - A New Hope

OCTOBER IS A NEW TIME FOR EARTH'S EXISTENCE
To a Midwestern person, October is a time for beauty - the following is a perfect poem for today, the first day of October.

October gave a party,
The leaves by hundreds came
The Chestnuts, Oaks and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band. ------ George Cooper, October's Party

HARVEST IS STILL A WHILE AWAY
Around Greenview the crops still stand except for a few farmers venturing out. Most fields were planted late so harvest is a bit later than usual. But it's coming. A time for slow farm equipment on the roads and dust in the air. Please be considerate to our farmers. They make every effort to be careful, and we should all do the same.

INTERESTING HISTORY TIDBIT
I found this census information from the 1870 census about Menard County Statistics. I laughed at the content.

Number of Voters ---1,968
Population of County -- 11, 756
Number of Farms -- 1,956
Number of Horses -- 5,520
Number of Mules -- 936
Number of Sheep -- 6,177
Number of Hogs -- 28,303
Number of Cattle -- 16,515
Value of Personal Property -- $5,938,307
Value of Real Estate -- $2,234,578
WE HAVE GROWN A BIT BUT SOME OF THE ANIMALS LEFT THE BUILDING
******GIGGLING IMMENSELY******
************************I forgot to change colors. :(
NEW MYSTERY TREASURE HUNT
Some of you might remember when the Springfield radio station gave away a car in a treasure hunt. Clues were given out and everyone started hunting for the box which contained the keys to a new car. It was fun, and, although I didn't find the car keys, I was on the right path to finding the box. Fall seems to me to be a fine time to do something like that, so I decided that maybe a treasure box hunt was needed to boost my reader base. It definitely won't contain a set of new car keys, but it will contain something to put a smile on your face.
All of the rules will be forthcoming. The clues are being written in my secret hidden bat cave hideaway to make sure no one knows the secret location of the treasure box. Clues will be given out each day, then a lucky reader can go try to find it that day, or wait for a new clue. My far-a-away readers might think of something, so if you have blog reading friends or relatives from afar, they might be a source of help. BELIEVE ME, YOU WILL NEED HELP ON THIS ONE. Good luck. Watch for the Treasure Hunt info. For Greenview.....All about Greenview. A good town.
A MOMENT FOR REFLECTION OF A PAST TIME
When I was a little kid, specifically in 196o, my mom told me about a Family Pie she would make for Christmas and that she got the recipe from my grandma. This pie thing stymied me on Christmas Day because I never saw the pie. For months, I wondered, but didn't understand enough to ask. The beginning of the next year, at the age of 11, I took over the running of the 11 room household (I was the oldest of 3 kids still home) due to my mom's bad heart (which I have, dang it). That Christmas, she told me to make sure the Family Pie was made. I looked perplexed as I knew that Family Pie was missing last Christmas..... the following is the recipe she handed me.....she died on the day before Valentines Day following Christmas....but I made the Family Pie that year because she asked me to make it. This pie still sits on my family Christmas table every year.
FAMILY PIE
1 handful of forgiveness
1 heaping cupful of love
1 full pound of unselfishness
Mix together smoothly with complete faith in God. Add 2 Tblsps of wisdom, 1 tsp of good nature for flavor, then sprinkle generously with thoughtfulness. One pie serves a whole family.
More Christmas recipes to come later.
Even if something is left undone, everyone must take the time to sit still and watch the leaves turn. --- Elizabeth Lawrence
Have a great day.

No comments: