Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thursdays Can Be Thrilling.
According to the world wide web, many times certain businesses will use the term "Thursday Night Thriller" to describe various things going on. It might be a race, or a football game, or a movie, or a television show being described as a thriller. I think they use this term because it spices up the word Thursday and because both words begin with "TH".

Some people might think a Thursday is thrilling because Friday is soon coming, or perhaps because the weekend is almost here. Perhaps it's the day you get to watch your grandchildren. It must be a good day as Abraham Lincoln designated a Thursday for us to celebrate Thanksgiving. Or, maybe Thursday is the day you have your weekly shopping trips planned. I know that on Thursdays, Shop n Save in Springfield offers $10.00 off when you buy $50.00 worth of items..... it doesn't take too many items to reach $50.00, so I always try to go to the store on Thursdays and make sure I buy at least $50.00 worth of groceries....just keep track of it in your head or on paper. It's nice to only have to pay for $40.00 worth of "stuff" instead of $50.00. Sometimes restaurants also have Thursday night specials.

Whatever the reason is for liking Thursdays, I'm sure it's a great reason. Thursdays are sure to come each week. In a little town like Greenview, even that can be thrilling.


******************
H1N1 Shots Available to More High Risk Classes, By Appointment Only.
The following high risk classes are now eligible to receive the H1N1 vaccines. The County Health Department wants to make sure the high risk classes receive the vaccine first. You may now schedule appointments for the vaccine if you fit in any of the following classes: ***Pregnant Women; ****Anyone who cares for children younger than 6 months of age; ****People younger than 64 years of age with chronic medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes or heart disease.
If you have a cold or fever you cannot receive the vaccine at this time. If you have any flu-like symptoms, please do not attend this clinic and stay home if you are sick. Contact the health department to schedule your appointment IF YOU FALL INTO ONE OF THESE RISK CATEGORIES. Call 632-2984.
************
Christmas in Greenview.
The 29th annual Christmas in Greenview art, craft and food festival is scheduled for November 21, 9 am to 2 pm. A soup and sandwich luncheon will be held at the Greenview United Church. Maps will be available at Casey's.
****************
Why Do I Spend Time Writing This Blog.
My blog has come under scrutiny by someone who feels it is worthless and poorly written. I personally don't get the impression from my many readers' comments that this blog is truly worthless, nor poorly written. But that is my opinion, as is everything in this blog. The funny thing is that I made my workday living by writing for many many years.... but, never have I stated that I am trying to win a journalism award for writing this blog. I am simply giving down-to-earth news to people who might be interested. I try to give information on current events in Greenview and in the county. I also try to give historical information, including recipes from old cookbooks or recipes long used by certain families. When I have no news, I try to keep the topics light and informative so that all readers can learn at least a few new things. It's sometimes hard to come up with topics to write about which will hold the interest of lots of people and not just a few. I always stay away from the controversial politics subject. And last of all, I try to give a famous quote for the day, which has always received positive comments.
A blog is simply the writer's opinion and a comment section is available for anyone who wishes to write comments which are not in agreement with my opinion. I'm a very easy going person who is very open-minded, but I will not tolerate belligerent or hateful comments directed towards my blog or about my town. But if enough people think this blog is actually worthless, I will just let it die out. Just speaking out because I can....Rant Over.
**************
To Effectively Communicate, We Must Realize That We Are All
Different In The Way We See The World
And Use This Understanding As A Guide
In Our Communications With Others.
~~~Tony Robbins
*******************
With Love of Greenview In My Heart




2 comments:

JP said...

You are doing a fine job in keeping us informed of occurrences in the Greenview area. I have no idea what the sour grapes are that someone felt necessary to share with you. I, for one (of many, I'm sure) enjoy reading your (well written) comments. Please continue.

Jim Turner

doll lady said...

Jim...Thanks for your comments. You're right...sour grapes! Sometimes certain people haven't got the sense of a chicken when it comes to being polite and determining what's good for others....it's only themselves they think about. Thanks for commenting. It helps make my day better.
Carla