Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cheese With That Burger...how bout fries?

Cheese or no cheese is the question!

Some persons like cheese on their burger and some don't.  So let's look at a situation where you go into a restaurant and order a hamburger.  For some reason the first question is "do you want cheese on that burger?"  It seems to me that if I wanted cheese on my burger I would have ordered a cheeseburger....at least I think that's the name of a burger with cheese.

Why in the world would a waitress want to know if cheese should be added if a hamburger is specifically what I ordered.  I can see the waitress asking if I wanted lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mustard or ketchup on my burger as those are condiments......and usually free ones....but cheese on my burger adds costs.  Do you suppose the owner has told the waitresses to always ask if cheese is wanted so that a charge any where from 10 cents to 50 cents can be added to the charge.....just for that dinky skinny little piece of cheese food!  I could maybe see it if restaurants used fancy real cheese slices but the majority don't!!  It's cheese food!!!  And usually the cheapo kind.....99 cents for 30 slices kind.  Slimy, sticky cheese food....full of fat grams, sodium and calories.

Maybe those waitresses get a percentage of their intake, so that's the reason they ask about a pricey piece of cheese being added to a burger......hmmmmm I somehow think that's doubtful about waitresses getting a percentage of the intake.  Unfortunately waitresses are some of the lowest paid workers on this earth.  And most have to depend on their tips to make up for poor wages.

At McDonald's you used to get two slices of cheese food on a double cheeseburger and it was a dollar.  Then it changed to a McDouble and one piece of cheese was placed between two slim and trim pieces of what they call beef patties.  Voila.....the McDouble.  And by chance if you ordered a double cheeseburger, you paid a much higher price than the McDouble.....another way to get your money.

Now there are always two question which come henceforth when you order a burger.......cheese is the first question....and the second is always do you want french fries?  No I don't!  I want mashed potatoes!  I love mashed potatoes with my burger....but who in the heck has mashed potatoes at fast food places?  Hardees used to but I don't think they do now.  So not having the ability to order mashed potatoes, I will forget the burger too and order a chicken sandwich....and no I don't want cheese on my chicken either.  Hold the mayo and  hold the lettuce .... I want to taste the chicken!

Old Things....Need Help Remembering

There are some things about Greenview that I just can't remember so I'm asking for help!

Here are some of the things for which my memory is failing:

1.  What kind of cars did Cramer's sell....was it Plymouth, Chrysler or both or something different?

2.  Someone told me that Baugher's Implement used to also sell washing machine and other machine parts.  Is this correct??

3.  For a while, there was a church which opened up on the west side of the square and I think the Honea family had something to do with it.  Does anyone remember the name of the church and in which building it was located?

4.  How many persons remember the cafe which used to be located just south of the lower Steinmetz tavern?  Anyone remember the name of it?  I believe there was an empty lot south of the tavern, then the cafe.

5.  Does anyone remember where the Eldridge egg business was located....I think it was on the north side of the square, but don't know exactly where.

Just a few things I've been wondering about.

Thought For The Day
You're born an original. 
Don't die a copy.
--John Mason


Crazy death promises are sometimes so funny.  Not long ago I was reading a death promise ..... the promise was funny but the result was hilarious.


This particular man was a mean old miser.  He wouldn't let his wife have money to take care of items she needed and only spent a minimal of money.  He had a lot of money accumulated and would be considered rich. 

Then the man got sick and called his wife to his deathbed.  He made her promise in front of many others that she would put all of his money in a shoebox and put it in the casket with him so he could take it with him upon his death.  The dutiful wife made that promise.

The day came for his funeral.  The dutiful wife sat in the back with her best friend, who had witnessed the wife's promise to put all of his money in a shoebox and put it in the casket with the dead miserly husband.  Just as the undertaker was getting ready to close the casket, the wife reached under her seat and brought out a shoebox.  She approached the casket and placed the box next to her dead miserly husband.

As the casket was lowered into the ground, the wife's best friend leaned over to her and said "you really didn't put all of his money in the shoebox which you put in the casket did you?"

The dutiful wife said I most certainly did.  I put it all in my account and wrote him a check. 

That's sure one way to get a good result!


Thanks for coming to my blog.
(blog and posts protected under copyright laws)

Hope to see you again.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I think Cramers sold Plymouth and Desoto...don't think they sold Chrysler..there was a Chrysler dealer in Mason City
2.I would imagine that Baughers did sell appliances as IH was in that business for a number of years...we had an old IH refrigerator...Philco was made by Ford at the time, Frigidaire was made by GM, etc
3. Don't remember
4. I remember the cafe, but don't remember the name...I think Ralph Hudspeth owned it at one time
5. I was thinking the hatchery was in the alley between Webb Madison's barber shop and Cramers...there was also an old brick building in that alley that at one time had been a jail...I think

Ken Dirks
Marietta, GA

doll lady said...

Thank you Ken....I think you are right on....

Ted Tice said...

I don't remember Ken's Dirk's description of the location of the Eldridge's hatchery. It must have preceded the location that I remember. I remember it being where the Steight (sp) office building is now, across from what was then the Ennis Funeral home. It was a brick building, painted tan or maybe yellow. Spud ran it, and possibly Ed too. Or did their father run it. I was too young to really know. Who can forget the wonderful smell of sweet feed, and seeing the baby chicks around the shop?

Ted Tice

doll lady said...

Hi Ted....thanks for commenting....I remember that location and the feed smell and the chicks....I wonder if Ken's description was one of the originals.....I think I remember something north of the square...Carla.

Anonymous said...

That's right, Ted....and I do remember the sweet smell. Didn't Burt Zeitler take over the operation later? I'm wondering if there was another hatchery at one time, although it's hard to imagine the community large enough to support 2 hatcheries?

Ken Dirks