Monday, April 30, 2012

Cows Must Be Smarter Than I Thought

When I was a kid, my dad always told me cattle were dumb but I really didn't believe they were the most stupid animal as some think.

As a kid I had cattle that I worked with and, they would come to me on a voice command.  And, I know that cattle know that they are going to be fed when they see you approach a feed trough.

I also think that cattle can sense when a person is afraid of them and some will even provoke a person and will chase people who are afraid.  Been there, done that!!

I found this article and after reading it, I truly believe that cattle must be smarter than what most think.   It was written by a veterinarian and she is the involved in her state's humane association, but it appears to be a non-slanted story.  I feel this story is really touching...too bad the ending isn't better.  Read and enjoy and think about it when you next eat veal.

http://worldtruth.tv/cow-proves-animals-love-think-act-feel/

Old History
(taken from the History of Menard and Mason Counties - 1879)

Early Manners and Customs:

The articles used in the culinary department were as few and simple as can be imagined. A "flat-oven" or skillet, a frying-pan, an iron pot or kettle, with, occasionally, a coffee-pot, completed the outfit of the best furnished kitchen. Stoves were then entirely unknown, hence all the cooking was done on the fireplace. The oven was set on a bed of glowing coals, and the frugal housewife, taking as much stiff dough of Indian meal as she could conveniently hold in both hands, and deftly tossing from hand to h and to mold it into the desired shape, tossed it into the oven, patting it with her hand to the desired thickness. About three of these "dodgers" would fill the oven, when the ready heated lid was placed on the oven, and all was covered with burning coals. As soon as the bread was done, it was taken out upon a tin platter and set on the hearth near the fire to keep warm.

Generally, the impress of the fingers of the cook were plainly visible in each "dodger." In the oven from which the bread was taken the ham or venison was then fried, and often, in the fall and winter, the grease tried out of the meat when fried was allowed to remain and in it the "lye-hominy," made also of Indian corn, was seasoned for the meal. Tho the repast was prepared, and sweeter bread or more savory meats were never eaten than was prepared on those rude fire-places. As to sweetmeats and confections, they were things entirely unknown.

Sugar was unknown save in sections of country where sugar-maple abounded; but nearly all of the early settlers had an abundance of the finest hones in their cabins the year round; for wild honey-bees were found in great numbers whenever there was timber. Sometimes wild crabs, wild grapes, and berries of various kinds were preserved in hones; but these were only opened on the most important occasions. For many years after the settlements were commenced in this section wheat bread was entirely unknown.

Quote For The Day

I don't care what is written about me,
so long as it isn't true.
--Dorothy Parker

Do you remember the old typing drill...."now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"???

Typing this phrase is a good way to increase your typing skills if you are a horrible typist.....me!  I make lots of errors these days....too many stiff finger mornings.....or is it a loss of brain waves, going from the brain to the fingers.  It seems that I get my pinkies on the wrong keys more often than not.....but I try to ignore those new words I'm making up.....in fact, maybe I should submit some of them to Webster from inclusion as the latest word.    The funny thing is, when I read something someone else has typed with erroneous words, I know what they mean.....is that natural??  I kind of like internet shorthand, but I don't know the standard shorthand, so I kind of make up my own. 

If I typed "let;s mewt fpr linch".....you probably know that I meant "let's meet for lunch". The Pinkies moved over keys a couple of times!  LOL

So if you want to become a better typist, practice the "come to the aid of their country" drill.....and be sure to put a period at the end.....as old Thelma E. used to say:  "if you type it right, it will completely fill in a 70 space line with the period at the end."

The drill sergeant Thelma, knew just about everything.....but she sure was nice and, wow could she teach!!

And if you get bored with the aid to the country one, do this one:  the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog".  I think it's harder.....but it might keep you from getting bored.

Fingers on the keyboard, and eyes on your paper....as Thelma would say!


Thanks for coming to my blog.
(all rights reserved)

Hope to see you again soon!

No comments: