Monday, April 23, 2012

Hey Diddle Diddle

Blogger has changed and I'm bumbling my way through it.....it was hard to use before and now it's horrible....so bear with me.  I'm trying.

I now know diddly squat about how this will look....so I guess I am diddling around today.....it's a diddle diddle day...what ever that is. I just went to dictionary and it says diddle means to cheat, swindle.  Well I'm not doing that.....but maybe I am because I'm cheating you guys out of a good post.....cause I can't get used to the things I have to do on this to get it right.....and I really can't think of another thing to post this morning so I'm just telling you my woes of using blogger......that's a diddle day for me.

Of course there have been many days where I diddled and dawdled when I should have been doing something constructive....and the result of the diddle dawdle day was about as blank as a chalkboard which just had been cleaned......in other words.....nothing!

Guess I better get on with this practice post .... maybe by tomorrow I will have learned the new elements of posting on the blog so that I don't have another diddle day.


DAVID PROPST, farmer and stock-raiser, Sec. 1 ; P. 0. Greenview ; was born
in Greenbrier Co., W. Va., Jan. 26, 1818. His father, Nicholas Propst, was a
native of German}'. He came to the United States when he was a boy and located in
Virginia, where he married. He was the father of eight children, three of whom are
now living. In 1829, he removed to Illinois and settled in Sugar Grove, Menard Co.
Mr. Propst in his lifetime was a great help to the early settlers of Menard Co. He
had considerable means and he furnished many a settler with money, at a low rate,
to enter land with. He was an " Old Line Whig," as were his sons, until the organiza-
tion of the Republican party, when they became identified with it. Our subject passed
his youth on his father's farm ; received a limited education, as there were but few
schools in that early da} r . He now owns and is living on the place settled by his father,
in 1829. When he was yet a young man he purchased, with land warrants, 160 acres
of land on Salt Creek, for which he paid 75c per acre ; six years after, he sold the land
for $20 per acre. This and like transactions are characteristic of his success in life.
He now owns over 400 acres of well-improved land. He was united in marriage with
Sarah Wilcox April 10, 1851. She was born in Menard Co., 111., Aug. 11,
1829 ; her parents came from Green County, Ky., in a very early day. From this
union there are two children Ephraim, born Feb. 1, 1853, and Melinda, born March
26, 1855. Mr. Propst is a stanch Republican in politics and a firm believer and advo-
cate of its principles.
LEVI PROPST, carpenter and joiner, Sweetwater; was born in Greenbrier
Co., W. Va., Aug. 9, 1828. His grandfather, Nicholas Propst, was a native of Ger-
many, and came to Sugar Grove in 1829. John, his eldest son and the father of Levi,
came to Menard Co. in 1840. Here our subject passed his youth assisting his father
on the farm. His father taught him to read and write, and this was all the education
young Propst received. Later in life, however, he applied himself to his books and be-
came quite proficient. At 20 years of age, he began to learn the carpenter's trade, a
busim ss he has followed all his life except eight years, when he was engaged in the drug
business in the village of Sweetwater, during which time he was also village Postmaster.
He was married to Miss Elizabeth J. Swank April 10, 1851. She was born in Putnam
Co., Ind., July 1, 1829. From this union there were six children, three of whom
are now living Elzina, David E. and James A. The names of those deceased are
Mary E., Annie E. and Clara E. Mr. Propst is a Democrat and a self-made man.

E. L. SWINEY, farmer and stock -raiser, Sec. 35 ; P. 0. Greenview ; was born in
Bath Co., Ky., July 28, 1823. His father died when he was 2 years old. He
lived in Kentucky until he was 11 years of age, when he came to Indian Point,
Menard Co., with Mr. Kennedy Kincaid. They brought a flock of sheep with them,
which young Swiney helped to drive. He continued to live with Mr. Kincaid until
21 years of age. He received such education as the schools of that early day afforded.
In 1845, he bought 285 acres of land in Sugar Grove Precinct, upon which he has since
resided. He now owns 700 acres of land upon which are good buildings. He was
united in marriage with Melinda Johnson Sept. 10, 1846. She was born in Menard
Co., 111., Aug. 25, 1824. Her parents came to the county in 1823, and her mother,
who is now living, is one of the oldest living settlers. Mr. Swiney is the father of seven
children, five of whom are now living Emma, Elijah, Laura, Ned and Frank. Mrs.
Swiney departed this life Feb. 9, 1877. Mr. Swiney is a stanch Republican in politics.

ADAM SHARP, boot and shoemaker, Sweetwater; was born in Baden, Germany,
Sept. 18, 1850. His father was a shoemaker by trade, a business he taught his three
sons. In 1853, John, the eldest son, came to the United States, and located in the
village of Sweetwater, Menard Co., 111. ; he also lived in Missouri about five years. He
died in 1878. Adam came to this country in 1872, and commenced working at his
trade in the village of Sweetwater the same year. He was united in marriage with
Bertha Kyle Dec. 11, 1877 ; she was born in Logan Co., 111., Feb. 16, 1857. They
have had one child Augustus, born Jan. 5, 1879, died April 12, 1879. Mr. Sharp
came to this country as a poor German lad, but by close attention to his trade, com-
bined with industry and economy, he has gained quite a competency. He owns a large
shop, in which he always keeps a large and well-selected stock. He also owns one of
the nicest residences in the village.


Quote For The Day
I could dance with you until the cows come home.
On second thought I would rather dance with the
cows until you come home.
--Groucho Marx

Today is my day to do a product review.  I guess I could acutally name the product but the widget I'm talking about is owned by a company and they would probably see my awful review and sue me for 20 million dollars....then I would be in great debt and the proud owner of this awful widget which cost me $2.98.

I know that you can't trust widgets when they cost $2.98.  A person should always at least pay $3.00 for widgets.....that 2 cents often will make the difference.

But I know that if the acual manufacturer of the widget I'm reviewing would ask me, I would sure tell them that it sucks.  I would not tell them that my model has no problems....unless they offered me a big chunk of money.  A big chunk of money might get a lot of fake words coming from my mouth....like....this model of widget is wonderful (choke choke), it was so cost effective and I would buy another and another if the darn thing ever wears out (choke choke)......God forgive me for lying please!

No....I think this widget is so bad I wouldn't even give a postivie review for a cash settlement....now that's bad!



Thanks for coming to my blog.
(blog and posts are protected under copyright)

Hope to see you again soon!

No comments: