Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Friend For Life

A Friend Is A Friend.....Perhaps A Lifetime

People you met as a child, are probably still your friends.  Most of my childhood friends are still my friends, although there have been a few who created havoc in my life and I have chosen not to continue that friendship.  It may seem harsh to some to do that, but my life situation may be different from yours ..... it's important that I  make sure that havoc and turmoil don't affect my actual life.

Renewal of friendships after a long absence can be invigorating to the soul.  It can bring a new wonderment.....you can feel a vibrancy and a happiness......kind of a renewal of life feeling.  And I love when that happens.

There was a really good song by the name A Friend For Life.....it probably says it all.....


This week I will see one of my old friends from long ago.  I look forward to renewing our friendship which we have had for over 50 years.  May the angels of friendship reign over your life and may you renew those friendships from long ago....or even those from just a short while ago.  It will make you happy!!

Old Tyme Stuff From Greenview


This is just some old time excerpts taken from the Greenview Scrapbook:


The jewelry store of P.J. Palmquist was burglarized in 1877, the thief taking everything except for $100 which Mr. Palmquist had laid away in his day book.  T. C. Pond, president of the board, hired a detective, who caught the burglar in Bloomington, brought him back and he led the officers to the "Willows" north of town, where the loot was dug up and restored to the owner.

A newspaper called the "Greenview News" was established about that time by a man called Mr. Smith, but no details of this enterprise are available.  The plant was located in the Payne and Bracken building and soon "petered out".

James Denton took Frank Denton into his grocery business as partner and that year David Rudder opened a harness shop.  Mr. Rudder also did expert cabinet work, using wooden pegs instead of nails in construction tables, desks, etc.

The great Temperance wave that was sweeping the country reached Greenview and when the "Murphy Movement" was organized here there were five licensed saloons operating in the village.   Meetings were called, and the Men's Reform club and the W. C. T. U. were organized and a campaign was put in motion resulting in the saloons being voted out.

Thomas Cleaveland brought in the first steam thresher in 1880, and he followed the threshing business practically all his life.  His sons, Alvin and George, also worked as thresher men with their father and after his passing.  Mr. Cleaveland was a veteran of the Civil War and was leader of the fife and drum corps.

(Note there was no reference in the scrapbook to indicate the meaning of the organized W.C. T. U.  It might be somewhere else in the book though but I don't remember ever reading about it....perhaps I will find it one of these days.)

Quote For The Day
Camping is nature's way of
promoting the motel business.
--Dave Barry

Jelly bean or spice drop?  Hmmmm I like them both...especially when those jelly beans are the spice ones.  So based on my love for the spice jelly beans I guess my answer would be spice bean drop.  Oh...you say there ain't such a thing.....well there "otta be" a spice bean drop.

Then comes snickers or milky way.  Milky way by a landslide.....and I really like those Milky Way bars they call "Midnight" with the dark chocolate.  Of course some people don't like dark chocolate, but the heart practitioners of the world have declared dark chocolate not too bad for you, so I try to eat one to help prove those heart docs right....and if they're wrong, well I guess I won't know it, but the rest of you will know!

Then come Butterfingers or Kit Kats.  There is no comparison.....Butterfingers for sure....I love that hard nougat getting stuck in my teeth....that way I have a supply for when I get hungry later in the day.

Candy.  It's a great thing.  I've loved it since a child and will love it to the day I die.  Of course, if I keep eating it, that day may be sooner than I want it to be.  But ..... yummy yummy for your tummy sure sounds good, just any time of the day.  So go out today and buy some candy....you won't regret it I bet!


Thanks for coming to my blog.
(blog and posts are protected under copyright laws)

Hope to see you again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WCTU was probably the Women's Christian Temperance Union which was led by Carrie Nation, I believe

Ken Dirks

doll lady said...

Ken....that's it....I had forgotten that organization! Thanks! Carla